External backup (synchronization of bookmarks) in Baserow

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

1. I’m frustrated with Raindrop, the official Raindrop page said that Raindrop was from the open source community, but that’s not true.
  2. If you go to their github, there is no repository with the backend code. In other words, the code posted there on official github is just the frontend. This is interesting, but I wanted the backend code. To understand the logic, data structure and database used.
  3. I have been a php language programmer for exactly 5 years. I was impressed and excited by the idea of an open source bookmark manager, as Raindrop claimed to be open-source and in fact it wasn’t as it didn’t have the full back-end code.
  4. I said that I am a php programmer as I had a similar idea to Linkace for managing my bookmarks, but it was just my idea and I used it internally for a few years. I had no plans to monetize the program, I just did it for myself. However, this would take time and I would have to test and have more resources to do something cool. What I always liked about Raindrop was the possibility of external backups, filters and smart search.
  5. I have a feeling that the database Raindrop uses is PostgreSQL or MongoDB . But the truth is, I don’t know which database they use. It’s a kick, a vain attempt at curiosity.
  6. Every project I do or participate in is usually unique. Despite having known and done some work with MariaDB, SQLite, MySQL at some point, I have more security with these databases: Redis, PostgreSQL, MongoDB and my experience and knowledge are for these databases.

Describe the solution you’d like

1. It would be nice to have an offsite backup option. For this to be possible, we must have the synchronization of bookmark data in Google Sheets, Airtable or Baserow.
  2. The only problem I see is the limit of rows in the Google Sheets spreadsheet, which is over 1 million rows (+ -). In turn, the Airtable limit is 1,200 lines per base. That is, you can create multiple tables as long as they don’t exceed 1200 rows. If it exceeds 1200 rows, you would have to make more databases, that is, more tables. This limit is on the free plan.
  3. It would not be a good option to sync with Google Sheets or Airtable, because of the limit of rows you can create.
  4. An alternative for now is Baserow, which does not limit the number of rows, columns or tables. It’s free, open source.
  5. This external backup is great, in case there is a problem in the database or the data is lost due to a possible failure in the server’s processing. A good example of this feature is Raindrop, which offers the synchronization of Bookmarks on Dropbox and Google Drive in the paid plan. In my view, it doesn’t make sense. Because, Baserow is free and there is no limit on rows, columns or tables. In addition, Baserow has an api for querying these data with intelligent filters: date, data type (number, email, text, boolean…).

Describe alternatives you’ve considered

1. I’m thinking about helping the LinkAce community as it’s the only software I know of that is written in php and is as good as Raindrop. One of the features to make LinkAce more competitive and closer to Raindrop would be the external backup of Baserow.
  2. Another thing, there is no file limit. Under the terms of the security policy, the data is encrypted and you are the only one who has access. Baserow seems to be a great alternative to Google Sheets, Excel and Airtable.
  3. We can combine something useful with something pleasant. It’s always good to have to have an ace up the sleeve.
  4. I can make this feature or someone else can implement it, whichever is best for the community.
  5. I think in this architecture, we have a local database and a remote database (which is a copy of the local database). We can configure the backup to be something monthly, weekly, yearly or just sync the data. This is useful to ensure data integrity and availability. Besides being useful to avoid any data loss. Since we have a backup for that.
  6. If you are a mac user, there is a feature option called time machine. The offsite backup feature is similar to time machine. I mentioned the time machine feature, as it is a working example of what I wanted to do in the future.
  7. It may be possible to create a LinkAce app if it has synced with Baserow.
  8. There is a php library that synchronises the data in Baserow via an api and token.

My idea(now, present)

Baserow(External backup (synchronization of bookmarks) <-> Local Database(SQLITE/ PostgreSQL)

My idea(future)

Baserow <-> Local Database(SQLITE, local backup) <-> Remote Database(PostgreSQL, persistent storage) <-> Logs Database(Mongodb)

• External backup(Baserow)
  • Google Cloud(Remote Database)
  • Google Cloud(Logs Database, temporary)

Benefits

1. Baserow is free, open source and private. There is no limit or amount of files to make upload, save. There is no limit or amount of rows, columns in any free and paid plan.
  2. Great option to be an external backup to guarantee the integrity and availability of data. Also to avoid any possible loss of data.
  3. There is a php library that can make this possible.
  4. Competitive advantage over Raindrop, best cost and benefit.
  5. Keep a history of modifications.

Additional context
Add any other context or screenshots about the feature request here.

Interesting and futuristic features

Example

describe: list of backups made: monthly, yearly, weekly, daily.

1 Like

Hi there!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write up your ideas and wishes regarding a backup solution.
Currently, LinkAce has a built-in backup solution that is compatible with local filesystems, SFTP and any Amazon S3-compatible service (see the backup package docs). Technically it would be possible to extend LinkAce with support for other file services like Google Drive and so on.

Could you explain why you think that Linkace should specifically supports Baserow as a backup service, instead of more generic solutions like Google Drive, Dropbox or WebDAV?

1 Like

Could you explain why you think that Linkace should specifically supports Baserow as a backup service, instead of more generic solutions like Google Drive, Dropbox or WebDAV?

1. The main advantage of having a backup service is to avoid losing any data. Another advantage of having a backup service is having a full copy of your data. Thus, in case the data is lost or corrupted, it is easy to go back to the previous version. Knowing this, choosing a service that has this would be the best choice. As for choosing Baserow as a backup service, the main advantage I see is these. Baserow has both a free plan and a paid plan, the difference between the two is just technical support and some differential features. But, as I’m focusing on the free plan, I can say that according to their official page (Baserow) for now there is no limit on rows, columns, tables. This is great for a backup service where you will or may have multiple copies of the same type of data.
  2. The other advantage is that just like LinkAce, Baserow is open-source, free, self-hosted. One of the purposes of the creator of Baserow is to give users control over the data, that’s why Baserow is self-hosted, open source and free.
  3. Also, another advantage is that Baserow uses a database called PostgreSQL under the hood. And that, generates a better level of compatibility between two software: Baserow, LinkAce.
  4. Another advantage is that we can schedule monthly, weekly or daily backups. It’s very easy by api.
  5. The cool thing about it is that we can use Baserow as a data version control, imagine something like git. But a little different and very specific. Baserow accepts json and csv files with no problems. This is interesting because we can generate csv or json files and import them directly into the Baserow database without any problem.
  6. In the medium term it is a good choice for now. Choosing Baserow is not a generic option, it’s a good, smart option.
  7. Google Drive is not open source. I never found any Google drive repository with official backend or frontend code. I do not know how it works. I can imagine that Google Drive is made in python or nodejs, but like I said, it’s just an imagination, I don’t really know if it’s made in python or nodejs, it’s a guess. I have no control over my data. I understand having a backup service for most people is Google Drive or Dropbox, but there are better options like Trezorit or Baserow. Excellent quality services with great terms of use, free and open source. Just like LinkAce.
  8. Baserow works with rows, columns and tables. If you’ve set up LinkAce with PostgreSQL and would like a higher level of compatibility, Baserow uses it under the hood, PostgreSQL. I can migrate data from one to the other easily.
  9. For end users, having a backup service is expensive. If you offer a free backup service, everyone wants to use it because it’s great and free.
  10. Google Drive had an unlimited plan, but for some reason they ended it. And that was bad, it took a lot of people by surprise. People like me who haven’t read the contract terms completely. As a result, many users like me had to upgrade to the paid plan immediately to avoid any data loss, as we were in excess in terms of data storage: gmail, photos, videos everything. In the case of Baserow, there is a paid plan and a free plan, so I don’t expect surprises in the end in this case, as Baserow’s business model is well developed.
  11. The greater the integration and support, the greater the adoption of the software, an example of this is Evernote, Trello, Confluence, Raindrop, Google that integrates several services. About that, I’m talking about the possibility of integrating LinkAce with Baserow today.

These are 11 reasons to choose Baserow as your Backup service.

I still don’t see why especially Baserow should be the best backup solution for LinkAce. I totally understand the points of it being open source and free, but Baserow is definitely not a backup solution. Baserow is a no-code database tool that allows you to organize data of a project without touching code.

What is the problem with installing Minio (which is also open source and free to use)? Linkace supports it already. Backups are managed by Linkace and keep daily, weekly and monthly backups of your whole database.

Some of your points are really confusing, because something like a version control for the database or integrations with Trello and Evernote have nothing to do with a backup. If you need those features, setup Linkace with PostgreSQL and connect Baserow to the the Linkace database. :thinking:

Technically it would be possible to extend LinkAce with support for other file services like Google Drive and so on.

• So, I gave some examples of programs that have various types of integrations, which makes them much easier to use. You, on the other hand, said that in the future it would be possible to add Google Drive as a backup. Well, so far there is no inconsistency. I said it one way, you said it another way. I said about the integrations of things like Trello, Evernote. These are examples of good software with various types of integrations. In turn, I requested a backup to Baserow.io as it would help me a lot.

What is the problem with installing Minio (which is also open source and free to use)? Linkace supports it already. Backups are managed by Linkace and keep daily, weekly and monthly backups of your whole database.

• There’s no problem at all, you’re right. But, I just wanted to have a Baserow integration into LinkAce to make my life easier.

Some of your points are really confusing

1. I talked about some problems when the software is not open-source like Google Drive. This gives rise to several problems, such as a recurring change in terms of use. Open source software doesn’t change the terms of use as much.
    1. If you can’t afford a backup server, a free option is the Baserow. And you don’t need to configure. It’s all codeless. End users don’t want or don’t need or can’t know about backups, servers. They want something good. Something easy and affordable. Something cheap and free. Baserow is cheap, easy and free.
    1. Integrations are not about backup, and no time has said that. I said that software with integrations tends to be more public, to be used more.
    1. I said that in order to have a good backup, you need to manage the data. Manage as versions of each data. This sounds like the idea of ​​a file version control like git. Using Baserow is like using a git, something easy, good, open source. It’s an allusion, it’s a literary technique where you compare something with something else. For example, the word beauty can mean many things. It can be beauty in the aesthetic sense or it can be in the sense of admiration for something and someone. When I compare Baserow to Git, I’m comparing the features of both software. Just that and nothing else.

I actually don’t see any value in adding Baserow as a backup solution, as it simply is not a backup solution and it is capable of connecting to the existing Linkace database if you need the no-code features of Baserow.
If you really need Baserow for your setup, you would need to implement a sync on your own. The code is open, feel free to edit it but please respect the license if you want to publish your changes anywhere.

I will leave this topic open. If there are enough other people requesting Baserow to be implemented, I will think about it again.